Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Fixing My Cruise control and Horn

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Fixing My Cruise control and Horn

Now that the weather is getting warmer I am running out of excuses to avoid fixing the cruise control and the horn on my truck. I have a couple of guestions. In the block diagram there is something called "the clock spring" I understand failure of this part is one of the main reasons for both the cruise control and the horn not to function. Where in the steering column is this part located. The other question is I have to disconnect the battery in order to drain the internal power to the airbag to "safe it" it mentions this will return the ECM to it's default settings and that it will take 10 miles or more for the ECM to relearn it operating settings. What I am wondering about this last issue is what is the best way to re-train the ECM?

Does the OBD1 system give any diagnostic info' on the above problem,
I know OBDII does.

If the "clock spring" is bad shouldn't the airbag warning light be on?

Last edited by transmaster; 04-21-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

To retrain the computer you just drive normally. It learns to your driving style. I like to drive like a maniac when "teaching" it so get the most out of it. You won't get any code for the horn or cruise not working, but you would get an air bag light if that wasn't working. It is possible for the horn and cruise control section of the clock spring to go bad, while the air bag part of it continues working. It just has contacts that press on a circular disc with metal channels for each wire. The clock spring should be under the wheel, visible once the wheel is off. I've never seen one though so it may be attached to the back of the wheel.

If you've ever taken the steering wheel off an older vehicle then you have seen the horn wire that snaps into a hole on a plastic piece on the column. That wire has a spring that keeps tension on the end, which presses it against the round metal inside the plastic. That's basically a single wire clock spring.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 AM

Hmm driving like a maniac I Like it!

As it turns out the truck has other ideas. It needs new set of front disk pads so out with the brake tools and get that done this next Saturday.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My horn works, but my cruise control doesn't. I finally got the airbag light flashing. I took it in and they said the clock spring was bad. If I had never read this forum, I would have thought they were taking me for a ride.

New one is on order and will be replaced soon!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah it's a long...bed =P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me wanna fix my horn, cruise control and airbag light
Old 05-01-2009, 05:59 PM

The main reason why I held off fixing this problem is the safeing of the airbag. the instructions in my manual made it sound like a major job. However All Data DIY which lists all of the service bulletins for my truck indicated all you have to do is disconnect the battery and wait a half an hour or so for the internal power pack to discharge and then go for it.

Below is a photo of the Clock Spring
Attached Images  

Last edited by transmaster; 05-01-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much does the clock spring cost, because mine is doing that too. for the horn, i just got a horn kit and wired it up b/c i didnt know what i needed to get my horn to work

Quick Reply: Fixing My Cruise control and Horn