Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Felt a pop/jerk in rear then followed by squealing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Felt a pop/jerk in rear then followed by squealing

2000 F150 V8, 5.4l. I was on my way to work when I was stopped in traffic, went to move forward then as I was moving I felt a jerk, immediately looked in my rearview thinking someone tapped me. Realized that now I have a bad squeal that sounds as if it's coming from the rear brakes. Some of the post I have read mention parking brakes but my cables are still attached, however I pressed my parking brake pedal in and my parking brake light didn't come, also felt as if I had little resistance. In past couple of months I have felt like a shudder coming from the rear end as I would accelerate from a stop, could not find the problem. I changed my axle fluid and transmission fluid thinking that's what it could have been, but now I'm convinced it may be my brakes. Any help or input would be great. I tried to search for other post but was unsuccessful at finding any that matched. Thanks for reading and inputs.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

got to pull to rotor off and inspect it...
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 PM

Problem solved, I checked it during lunch and found that the brake material inside the drum shattered into a million pieces. So in order to get home we removed the shots and parking brake lever that connects to the cable so I would have any loose parts while driving. Got it home changed both the disc and drum brakes on both rear wheels, runs great now. However still no brake light when the parking brakes is applied.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Glad you found the problem. Few people know there are mini-brake shoes in the rear disc rotors. You should have 4 to 6 inches of e-brake pedal movement. W/O this the light switch will not activate. DON'T over tighten the cable or you have the same issue in the future
Old 05-17-2015, 05:57 AM

I had the exact same issue, I thought I had broken teeth off the ring and pinion it sounded terrible (especially when cornering). Pulled the rear discs off as someone mentioned checking the rear shoes and they fell to pieces on a pile on the floor

Quick Reply: Felt a pop/jerk in rear then followed by squealing