Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

faulty wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faulty wiring

my 2001 f150, 5.4l would not start with good battery (jumped ok) and now the lights will not turn off unless the battery is disconnected. With the lights on automatic the lights try to turn off every few seconds but turn right back on
Old 11-26-2013, 09:29 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm gonna guess. The remote is faulty.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:49 PM

Remote? remote what? No remote starter installed. No remote alarm.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:10 PM

i had a similar issue once when i borrowed my trucks battery to run my tractor in the winter. when i went to reinstall the battery i must have tapped the posts once or twice. once it was in the running lights and interior lights would not turn off the truck was a no start unless i shorted the starter solenoid and alternator failure. to fix it i had to replace the internal fuse box under the steering wheel. doing some research i found this to be a pretty common problem or atleast i wasnt the only one to have had it and not mostly due to battery issues. what i learned was something along the lines of the window seals in the windshield leaked and the way the dash was set up it created a water slide right to that fuse box and shorted it out. not the worst fix in the world. a few bolts and two harnesses that bolt onto the back. a little tight but relatively easy to get at without killing your dash and at a wrecker i paid 40$ for a fuse box. worked ever since.

there is a technical name for the box i replaced. if memory serves me correctly its "GEM module" but when i used that term at the wreckers they returned a doe in the headlights look. do some research of your own maybe and see if the symptoms fit. best of luck and let me know how it goes.

Last edited by cjhi91; 11-28-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: faulty wiring