Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

F150 tick

Old 07-31-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 tick

Hey yall, I just recently bought a 2005 f150 xl with the 5.4 triton motor. My question is, I know all trucks have there own ticks and knocks but mine has a tick that sounds like it's underneath the motor. It's constantly ticking, I have friends that say it's a lifter and some others say it's something to do with the oil pan. Personally I have no idea but it's got me a little worried, it's got 128xxx on it. Any ideas on what to look at an get fixed??? Thanks for the help ahead of time..
Old 08-04-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pic it was anything like mine, it was a lot of things that added up to a larger problem. Ultimately, I had to replace a cam shaft because one of my rocker/rollers (lifters) froze from a lack of oil getting to it and it wore an 1/8 inch deep rut in the camshaft. The solenoid was the reason there was no oil getting to that lifter.

The repair I made that fixed everything was replacing the camshaft, roller/rocker, and the vct solenoid(both of them). I also replaced both timing chains and sprockets. I did the work myself and the whole thing cost me around 1000bucks (triple that to have a mechanic do it).

If your problem was like mine, that's it. Should run and sound like a dream.

Good luck!

Nathan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 tick