Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

F150 Surging

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F150 Surging

Ok so i need some assistance in troubleshooting. i have a 1992 f150 with a 302 automatic tran. It has started surging when at in town speeds. Idles great, runs down the highway at 75 good. but if im above idle through about 40-50 mph it surges. runs good for 5-8 seconds and then falls on its face and then in a few seconds takes back off like normal for 5-8 seconds and falls on its face again. It stopped running period, changed out fuel pump relay and it starts again, but still surges. people have suggested TPS but are unsure. any advice out there would be great. thanks
The following users liked this post:
HattCreek Farm (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronco76
Ok so i need some assistance in troubleshooting. i have a 1992 f150 with a 302 automatic tran. It has started surging when at in town speeds. Idles great, runs down the highway at 75 good. but if im above idle through about 40-50 mph it surges. runs good for 5-8 seconds and then falls on its face and then in a few seconds takes back off like normal for 5-8 seconds and falls on its face again. It stopped running period, changed out fuel pump relay and it starts again, but still surges. people have suggested TPS but are unsure. any advice out there would be great. thanks
Ok here's what I have for you Bronco 76- I have a 1986 F150 4x4 with 302 5.0 v8 & it started doing the same thing you just mentioned. Well what I did was to buy a code reader to find out for sure what all the codes said was going on & I don't remember exactly what it read but when I looked it up in the book that came with the reader it said it was the TPS. Well I changed it out & reset it to the designated setting in the Haynes Manual & that did the trick!!! Just for your benifiet you might wanna purchase a Haynes Manual for future references!!! I have found that it helps when your stumped on a problem to have some instructions from a manual since none come with the parts you purchase!!! Hope this helps there buddy, & good luck!!!

Quick Reply: F150 Surging