Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

F-150 - Frequency of brake job experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:27 PM
BOZ
2010 XLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F-150 - Frequency of brake job experience?

I have a 2010 f-150 super cab. At 42,000 miles, had to replace rotors and pads on all four wheels. Now at 68,000 miles and it needs rotors and pads on just the front. Is this about normal? I do a lot of back roads driving, as opposed to a lot of highway driving.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

if replacing with OEM, i'd look into getting a better set of aftermarkets. Powerstops seem to be a popular brand.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Quit buying rotors, get them cut.. you can cut them a good 2 times.

When are u changing pads? 2mm?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

No thats not in the statistical range of normal. I have 135,000 mi. and still have the original rotors. They're still fairly smooth and warp free. I've replaced pads twice and rear calipers once due to one sticking. I do a lot of highway driving and I also use good energy management practices as much as possible, meaning I don't barrel up to stop and then stand on the brakes. I'm not a slow driver by any means, but I try to think ahead to minimize wear and tear on my vehicles. The worst brake life I have ever seen was produced by my wife. In 1992 we bought a new f150 4x4 for her. She burned the front brakes down to metal in 19,000 mi. Even though this was mostly city driving, I was pretty unhappy about it. She was a Sammy Hagar driver "one foot on the brake, and one on the gas". To this day when we travel, I drive. Otherwise I'd be stomping a hole in the passenger side floor.
The following users liked this post:
tdog02 (12-03-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
No thats not in the statistical range of normal. I have 135,000 mi. and still have the original rotors. They're still fairly smooth and warp free. I've replaced pads twice and rear calipers once due to one sticking. I do a lot of highway driving and I also use good energy management practices as much as possible, meaning I don't barrel up to stop and then stand on the brakes. I'm not a slow driver by any means, but I try to think ahead to minimize wear and tear on my vehicles. The worst brake life I have ever seen was produced by my wife. In 1992 we bought a new f150 4x4 for her. She burned the front brakes down to metal in 19,000 mi. Even though this was mostly city driving, I was pretty unhappy about it. She was a Sammy Hagar driver "one foot on the brake, and one on the gas". To this day when we travel, I drive. Otherwise I'd be stomping a hole in the passenger side floor.
My wife did same thing to her brakes.....ground the back of the pad into the rotor before saying anything was wrong. She feels the need to brake heavily while descending the steep hills around here.