Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Exposed Cable in Left Wheel Well

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exposed Cable in Left Wheel Well

Please reroute this question to the correct Forum Subsection - I didn't see an "electrical" section.
Just bought my first Ford; a 2013 F150, XLT with 23K miles.
Very happy with it but, looks like it was involved in a knife fight and has guts hanging out into the front left wheel well.
How much will it cost to to have this cable moved from the exposed underside/wheel well ?
Can this be performed by a 'normal' Ford dealership garage or must It be sent back to the factory ?

See attachment.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm guessing if a clip is holding it there, that is where it was meant to be. I don't have your body style truck to see if I have he same, but you could look anywhere on your truck and find something that is somewhat exposed. That's what the corrugated tubing is over the wiring bundle for, to protect it. I think it's fine, but if it really bothers you take it to your dealer and see if they will do something.
The following users liked this post:
ArubaFirst (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 01:53 AM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

It's normal amigo. They are all like that 2009+
Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Exposed Cable in Left Wheel Well

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
I'm guessing if a clip is holding it there, that is where it was meant to be. I don't have your body style truck to see if I have he same, but you could look anywhere on your truck and find something that is somewhat exposed. That's what the corrugated tubing is over the wiring bundle for, to protect it. I think it's fine, but if it really bothers you take it to your dealer and see if they will do something.
Thank you BassAckwards for the quick, logical response.
I'll discuss this with Ford reps. during my next servicing.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ji603
It's normal amigo. They are all like that 2009+
Thank you ji603 for taking the time to reply and pointing out that this hazard is common to many Ford F150's. I'll get down and search for more.
Other than the RCI Metalworks "skid plates"
http://www.rcimetalworks.com
has anyone taken other protective action regarding exposed F150 wiring that they're willing to share ?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

There is no "hazard" there. Wiring is protected by the wire loom (plastic outer tube), as mentioned lay down and look up at the bottom of your truck (or any car) and you will see tons of this on your vehicle. Whether it's in the wheel well or under the car, there is no hazard. While it is certainly visible, there are a bunch of things that show if you look hard enough.

Your dealer isn't going to do anything, so no sense in bothering them.

It's a truck, not a Rolls Royce.

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 11-24-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Yep normal. Doesn't look awesome the way it's run on the outside of the frame rail but the plastic loom at least hides it a bit and offers adequate protection. It's only wires inside so it's not very susceptible to damage from stones, etc. I wouldn't worry about it and move on with life.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
There is no "hazard" there. Wiring is protected by the wire loom (plastic outer tube), as mentioned lay down and look up at the bottom of your truck (or any car) and you will see tons of this on your vehicle. Whether it's in the wheel well or under the car, there is no hazard. While it is certainly visible, there are a bunch of things that show if you look hard enough.
Thanks for taking the time to contribute Ricktwuhk.

Your dealer isn't going to do anything, so no sense in bothering them.

It's a truck, not a Rolls Royce.
Perhaps. Correct.
My former 4X4's are a '78 Ram Charger, '82 Jeep Cherokee and '85 Blazer II.
I expected the F150 to be as 'brushproof' as they - or better.

Last edited by ArubaFirst; 11-25-2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to respond to 'dealer' comment
Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by kobayashi maru
Yep normal. Doesn't look awesome the way it's run on the outside of the frame rail but the plastic loom at least hides it a bit and offers adequate protection. It's only wires inside so it's not very susceptible to damage from stones, etc. I wouldn't worry about it and move on with life.
Thank you for contributing Kobayashi Maru.

It's only wires inside
Um, yeah - but wires are like vehicle nerves.
Why buy underside steel/aluminum (hardware) armor and leave control/sensor/etc wires protected by plastic ?
Still awaiting a reader's preventative maintenance suggestion.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 PM

Latest is that the exposed, shrouded wire bundle is the Trailer/Tow Link to the cockpit so if you (faithful reader) will not/have no intention of - towing anything behind your F150 you may save time by no longer following this thread.
In line with "you bought a Ford not a Rolls Royce nor a Jeep" is a dealer rep comment that Ford 4X4 trucks "should not be driven off road" (?).
Still waiting for someone to offer a positive solution.

Quick Reply: Exposed Cable in Left Wheel Well