Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Exhaust leak upfront of truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust leak upfront of truck

What up fellas , i was hunting the other day and not paying attention to the road ...and looking for deer and i ran over a big ole rock . Scraped and ding-ed my skid plate and also ding-ed the pipe going across from one cat to the other , now i can hear a definate leak in the exhaust somewhere . I have tried putting rags in my tailpipes and feeling around but i didnt do it very thoroughly and the exhaust was pretty hot at the time , so i didnt find much . Any other method that will help a guy out ? Or anyone had this problem before ? Wondering where the culprit is haha , thanks for your help in advance !
Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 PM

Default Update

Found out my exhaust leak is coming from the driver side exhaust manifold flange , the one with two bolts . It connects to the cats . Anyone know if there is a donut gasket in there or is it a ball and socket type of deal . Anyone had a leak there before ? How easy to fix ? Thanks for your help !
Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The factory exhaust manifolds are ****.
Aluminum heads, titanium gasket, cast iron manifolds. WTF?
I LOVE the Banks Power Tube headers with the Monster Exhaust.
Sounds good, no leaks.
It will take the weekend to do both sides.
It IS a major PITA yet so very worth it after!

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
davieboi89 (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 PM

Nice buddy , i bet it sounds Mean !
Old 01-02-2015, 12:02 AM

Ok I talked to a mechanic in town and he suggested to buy a used cross over pipe . My leak is actually at the flange right where the headers come down and meet the cat down pipe , driver side . He says if he takes it off and gets the drivers side flanges to match up then the passenger side flanges will probably be off. He quoted me about 600$ for a used cat cross over pipe.
What i am wondering is , would it be better/cheaper to get and aftermarket cat system set up such as magnaflow or flowmaster and replace the whole system ? or is there a cheap fix like magic metal that will work for time being ? Seems kinda silly to replace whole set up if its only the one side thats leaking. Any suggestions would help , thanks.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak upfront of truck