Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Engine / Trans Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine / Trans Issues

Hi guys, new to the site and happy to be here!

The patient in question here is a 2004 F150 FX4 with the 5.4 engine and 135k miles.

I've had it for a year and it seems like one thing after another... I've replaced the brakes, front coil-over shocks, driveshaft, power steering rack, alternator, battery, brake master cylinder, and I'm sure more...

The latest issues I'm having are as follows;

1. Brakes are inconsistent. Sometimes they feel good, and sometimes they feel like I'm headed to the floor. I had the master cylinder replaced and it feels only marginally better. If I pump them once while stopping, then quick release, then back on them they feel really good.

2. When I go WOT on the freeway, I just get a bad clicking sound coming the engine and it feels like the trans is slipping? There's no power, just feels like something isn't catching. Sometimes when it does this, it throws a P0174 code.

3. The truck has stalled infrequently just sitting at a stop light. It'll start right back up, but something isn't right. It idles at about 500 rpm usually.

If you guys have any suggestions on where to start with this stuff, I'd appreciate it!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might be in luck. All of your issues could be fixed with one solution- replace the entire PCV system. The issue is a common one with the PCV hose having a hole in it causing the 174 code. Because of excess air coming into the manifold, you lose some vacuum at the brake booster which means the brakes are weak. It's a condition that comes and goes on some. Use ONLY Motorcraft parts- no after market or FRAM. This is not an expensive fix.

Quick Reply: Engine / Trans Issues