Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Engine Oil Additiives

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Additiives

I recently bought a used 2004 Ford F150 XLT w triton 5.4 L engine.

Let's just say that the seller was a little less than truthful

It looked like the oil hadn't been changed in forever. I want to reverse as much as possible the damage that may or may not have occurred. I immediately changed the oil and filter, and will do it again at 2500 miles.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with engine additives? Do these things actually work, or could they cause more harm than good. Any suggestions would be highly recommended.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Stay away from them.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Your suggested oil change regimen is your best course of action.
The following users liked this post:
totalnewb (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

how many miles on the motor?, does it looked sludged up.. most of the time if the oil hasn't been maintained regularly putting some cleaners in their, will break the sludge up and clog oil ports/pump
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by grss429
how many miles on the motor?, does it looked sludged up.. most of the time if the oil hasn't been maintained regularly putting some cleaners in their, will break the sludge up and clog oil ports/pump
It has about 90,000 Miles on it.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by totalnewb
It has about 90,000 Miles on it.
Eh... that's not alot really.. how do you know he wasn't truthful about oil changes? was their a previous sticker in window? or a date on filteR? or anything?

i mean if you really wanted to do a flush.. go to your local ford dealership and i'm sure they have a "bg oil change" ours does.

what your looking for is BG EPR for flush... and BG MOA for a treatment both work really well.. or you can buy them seperate.. PLEASE make sure you read the back of can of EPR. i recommend you let a shop do it

http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php
Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Stay away from them.
Just curious for my own education ricktwuhk what makes you say that? Bad experiences, or they don't logically make sense?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by grss429
Eh... that's not alot really.. how do you know he wasn't truthful about oil changes? was their a previous sticker in window? or a date on filteR? or anything?

i mean if you really wanted to do a flush.. go to your local ford dealership and i'm sure they have a "bg oil change" ours does.

what your looking for is BG EPR for flush... and BG MOA for a treatment both work really well.. or you can buy them seperate.. PLEASE make sure you read the back of can of EPR. i recommend you let a shop do it

What is a BG EPR for flush or BG MOA? I didn't see them on that website. It looks like that site only services the US and im in canada. What does the BG oil change consist of?

http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php
He had a sticker on it saying it had been done 1200 miles ago. I saw the oil come out and there was just no way...... I got slightly taken I believe, not into buying a complete piece of junk but there was definitely some misrepresentation.

I bought it from a small town where there is only one garage, I think the owner knew the mechanic personally. I even paid the mechanic for two hours of inspection time with a long list of things to check in addition to the requirement that it be certified (the law in Ontario, that means it is "roadworthy" but not necessarily in good shape).

What is a big oil change or BG EPR for flush and BG MOA - what would these do, and the approx cost?

Last edited by totalnewb; 05-31-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by totalnewb
He had a sticker on it saying it had been done 1200 miles ago. I saw the oil come out and there was just no way...... I got slightly taken I believe, not into buying a complete piece of junk but there was definitely some misrepresentation.

I bought it from a small town where there is only one garage, I think the owner knew the mechanic personally. I even paid the mechanic for two hours of inspection time with a long list of things to check in addition to the requirement that it be certified (the law in Ontario, that means it is "roadworthy" but not necessarily in good shape).

What is a big oil change or BG EPR for flush and BG MOA - what would these do, and the approx cost?

Ah i didn't see you're in CA..

going 1200 miles over isn't bad at all, he might have been using synthetic oil.. or if he was changing it every 3k

BG EPR is a chemical flush for the motor basically you put it in the oil, let it run for 10 mins.... then you drain the oil and change filter..

BG MOA is a oil treatment it goes in along with your new fresh oil

if you can find theses in your area i'd recommend it

bg 44k is a fuel additive

Amazon.com: Bg MOA Part # 110 Engine Oil Supplement: Automotive Amazon.com: Bg MOA Part # 110 Engine Oil Supplement: Automotive

Amazon.com: BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner: Automotive Amazon.com: BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner: Automotive

Amazon.com: Bg109 Bg EPR Engine Performance Restoration 11 Fl Oz From the Makers of 44k: Automotive Amazon.com: Bg109 Bg EPR Engine Performance Restoration 11 Fl Oz From the Makers of 44k: Automotive

BG MOA, BG EPR , BG 44K

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-moa/

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engin.../#bg-product-3

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol.../#bg-product-1
Old 06-01-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Engine oil additives are unnecessary and can do more harm then good. Change the oil and move on.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Additiives