Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Engine dies randomley, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies randomley, need some help

Well for my first post i didnt want it to be about a problem but here i am. I have a 1995 f150 5.8. Recently it started dieing on me while driving. Random times too.Ill pull over and wait maybe 5 mins and it fires up without a problem. I came home and did some research online and saw several other problems like this, and everything points to the ignition module. I went outside to take a look and make sure i had no corrosion. i took the ditributer cap off and saw A LOT of corrosion. I cleaned it and drove it around for about 30 mins. No problems, but im afraid that isnt the fix and i dont want it to happen again. I have heard of it being a lot of diff things, but before i go and spend the money i want to make sure i buy the right stuff the first time. Which i hope is just the ignition module. Just need some more opinions. thanx ahead of time.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

It sounds like a classic electronics problem. A shop manual such as Chiltons, Haynes, Motor, or Ford will list procedures to methodically go through the ignition system. The items I would be first concerned with would be the ignition module, the stator module inside the distributor, and the ignition coil.

While the ignition problem appears to be the leading horse in the race, don't completely rule out a fuel problem.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 AM

i have replaced the ignition module, distributor and coil. still no spark. im going to go crazy
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Fortunately, with motor vehicles, there is a solution to every problem. Unfortunately, you've already dropped a wad of cash to no avail.

Still recommend the shop manual for the troubleshooting procedures. I posted a summary version of what was listed in my Chiltons book here: https://www.f150forum.com/f10/1989-300-l6-wont-start-5663/

Hope this helps. Let us know how things are progressing.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 PM

Prolly already checked but,i know ground wires can be touchie thing at times,if they wiggle just right or have corrosion it may cause a temp. short causin your problem. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Engine dies randomley, need some help