Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical Problem

I have a question about the electrical system. My son had the truck running and tried to roll up the passenger side window. It wouldn't go up and he kept pushing the switch. Well the truck shut down and will not start or do anything. I assume it's a fuse somewhere but I am unable to find it. I know there is a fuse under the steering wheel but have no idea what would cause the truck to shut down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by midships69
I have a question about the electrical system. My son had the truck running and tried to roll up the passenger side window. It wouldn't go up and he kept pushing the switch. Well the truck shut down and will not start or do anything. I assume it's a fuse somewhere but I am unable to find it. I know there is a fuse under the steering wheel but have no idea what would cause the truck to shut down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What kind of truck? Ford possibly but assuming anything on the net is at best a gamble.

You could start with what year it is, what trim level would be helpful, is it a Ford or did you make a wrong click on tha intarweb?

Mind readers we are not and my crystal ball is cracked beyond repair.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most electric windows have a circuit breaker. If you hold the switch on without the window moving it will likely cause this breaker to trip. Re-set is normaly just turning off and waiting a few seconds before turning it back on.

Sense the entire truck died when it should just be a breaker I would guess the breaker was faulty and damaged something else.

This is just general stuff, for more you will have to identify the specific truck so the other here can help.
The following users liked this post:
midships69 (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
What kind of truck? Ford possibly but assuming anything on the net is at best a gamble.

You could start with what year it is, what trim level would be helpful, is it a Ford or did you make a wrong click on tha intarweb?

Mind readers we are not and my crystal ball is cracked beyond repair.
Sorry about that: It's Ford F-150 2006 STX 4x4 5.6 L. The blooming thing quit running and now the only thing that works in the overhead light. Could it be an inline fusible wire somewhere or am I all wet here.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I seriously doubt a bad window motor would cause the whole truck to shut off, I would start by removing and cleaning the battery cables at both ends.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 PM

Have you checked the fuses?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 AM

The battery cables and posts are clean and tight. As far as I can see the fuses are all good. including the one under the dash next to the steering column.
According to my Son the truck was running and he tried to lower the window. I'm sure he just kept pushing the button. Now if the inline fuse didn't trip ( Which obviously it didn't ) what would blow next? Has to be a fuse or something to do with the ignition system but what would that be ? I'm not a Mechanic and I am stumbling around in the dark here. Help
Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM

The battery cables and posts are clean and tight. As far as I can see the fuses are all good. including the one under the dash next to the steering column.
According to my Son the truck was running and he tried to lower the window. I'm sure he just kept pushing the button. Now if the inline fuse didn't trip ( Which obviously it didn't ) what would blow next? Has to be a fuse or something to do with the ignition system but what would that be ? I'm not a Mechanic and I am stumbling around in the dark here. Help
Well, double check the fuses with an Ohm meter, make sure there still good. After that it gets way more complicated especially with cars of today. More then likely your going to have to trace the fault. Try and find out at what point your losing current. Sense your dome light works and nothing else I would guess its not a simple fix.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Start at the beginning. Using a volt meter check what the battery voltage is.

Quick Reply: electrical Problem