Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

EGR Trouble Code

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Trouble Code

1999 5.4L V8 FX4

The guy at my local Autozone told me the trouble code was for the EGR system. So I bought a new EGR valve and put it in. That was a couple weeks ago, and the check engine light is still on. I even disconnected/reconnected the battery to try and reset it, but it just came back on.

Do you think it's just a hose? The EGR line? The vacuum? The pressure sensor? I can't think of any other parts in the EGR system. I've wiggled around the hoses and got nothing so I'm guessing it's one of the last two.

Any help? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wrong Part:

The usual failure in the EGR system is the DPFE, the unit that has the two hi-temp hoses connected between it and the edge orifice in the EGR tube. That would be the next item to replace. If that still doesn't do the job, then pull the intake goose-neck and clean the crap out of the EGR passages. If all that still does not clear the error code, then replace the vacuum control valve, the unit that feeds the vacuum signal to the EGR valve, the only other item in the EGR system.

You may have jumped-the-gun by replacing the EGR valve without testing it to see if was opening. If a vacuum test proved the valve was good, then a quick check of the vacuum source to the EGR valve would have been your next step.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 03-31-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: EGR Trouble Code