Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ecoboost Oil Change Nightmares.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Ecoboost Oil Change Nightmares.

I’m no noob when it comes to changing oil, I worked at Amoco for several years & literally done hundreds in my lifetime, but chaining the oil on these Ecoboost engines is a pain! The problem isn’t getting access to the drain plug or getting the oil filter off - that was the easy part. It’s trying to catch the oil without spilling it! Maybe you guys can help me - I can’t figure out two things... why would Ford engineers (#1) put the drain plug pointing horizontally out the side of the oil pan — It’s almost impossible to catch all the oil without spillage as it shoots out sideways and (#2) Why would they make two completely different "channels" for the oil (coming form unscrewing the filter) to flow out instead of just one channel? Are their legitimate reasons for the madness?

I spent most of my 3 hour oil-change last night trying to clean up all the oil off my garage floor, if not for that I could have been done in 15-20 minutes tops.

So far I love everything else about this truck as Ford Engineers really went out of their way to put user-friendly & useful features in it, but changing the oil was a pain in the butt! Speaking strictly to all the Ecoboost community — what has your experience been changing the oil? Any tips on how to eliminate spillage?

I’m researching the best way to 90° that drain plug so the oil drains straight down. Also, wonder if there are any decent filter relocater kits available yet so I can bypass that whole gimmicky "oil drain channel" system (IMO that’s just waiting to get clogged up with dirt and likely cause a real mess down the road). I need your help, I had nightmares about doing it again!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hear ya

I just bought a 2012 ecoboost and love it. Don't have enough miles on it yet so I haven't had to change the oil yet but that was one of the first things I looked at when I popped the hood. It looked like it was going to be a messy job. I guess you confirmed that even though when I asked my Ford tech father in law about it, he laughed. That was my answer.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 PM

I agree: it's a poor design when it takes a drip pan and two catch basins to ensure oil doesn't spill all over the place when removing the filter, then takes half a roll of paper towels to clean up the trough afterwards.

Next oil change I'm pulling all that stuff apart and re-engineering it.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Default lol

Originally Posted by JeremyDeal
I’m no noob when it comes to changing oil, I worked at Amoco for several years & literally done hundreds in my lifetime, but chaining the oil on these Ecoboost engines is a pain! The problem isn’t getting access to the drain plug or getting the oil filter off - that was the easy part. It’s trying to catch the oil without spilling it! Maybe you guys can help me - I can’t figure out two things... why would Ford engineers (#1) put the drain plug pointing horizontally out the side of the oil pan — It’s almost impossible to catch all the oil without spillage as it shoots out sideways and (#2) Why would they make two completely different "channels" for the oil (coming form unscrewing the filter) to flow out instead of just one channel? Are their legitimate reasons for the madness?

I spent most of my 3 hour oil-change last night trying to clean up all the oil off my garage floor, if not for that I could have been done in 15-20 minutes tops.

So far I love everything else about this truck as Ford Engineers really went out of their way to put user-friendly & useful features in it, but changing the oil was a pain in the butt! Speaking strictly to all the Ecoboost community — what has your experience been changing the oil? Any tips on how to eliminate spillage?

I’m researching the best way to 90° that drain plug so the oil drains straight down. Also, wonder if there are any decent filter relocater kits available yet so I can bypass that whole gimmicky "oil drain channel" system (IMO that’s just waiting to get clogged up with dirt and likely cause a real mess down the road). I need your help, I had nightmares about doing it again!
wait a sec? you're telling us that you changed the oil on your eco? why man... why?

you're under warranty!!!! why risk screwing that up?
every time i go to the dealership, they ask if i'm getting my oil changes from them, because while on warranty, it's pretty strict about ford filters and ford oil... anything else, i'll be fed to the wolves.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The eco oil change is not a big deal.1st the 2 drain chanlels if the truck is up on ramps with the front higher then the oil will drain to the rear and out through the 4" hole in the skid plate if its up on a rack or lift a standard drain pan should catch both ends. The secret is to loosen the filter just enough to start it draining slow then go do somthing else for 10 or 15 mins. as for the drain plug if your going to do your own oil changes then invest in a Fumoto drain valve get the one with the nipple so you can put a short hose on and direct the oil where you want it. with the service speacials Ford offers on line why would bother to do it yourself is a mystery unless you just like the smell of used oil in the morning.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 PM

Default lol

not trying to start an issue here....

but you claim to not being a noob, but have you researched into getting one of these? (like i did)

btw, your welcome for finding it online for ya lol

http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=...9,r:0,s:0,i:71
Old 06-09-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cavpilot
I agree: it's a poor design when it takes a drip pan and two catch basins to ensure oil doesn't spill all over the place when removing the filter, then takes half a roll of paper towels to clean up the trough afterwards.

Next oil change I'm pulling all that stuff apart and re-engineering it.
Couldn't agree more. Would love to see your results. I'm thinking a filter relocation kit is going to be the easiest fix. As for the 90° drain plug their are too many options out there! Lol

Originally Posted by rigrat2011
wait a sec? you're telling us that you changed the oil on your eco? why man... why?

you're under warranty!!!! why risk screwing that up?
every time i go to the dealership, they ask if i'm getting my oil changes from them, because while on warranty, it's pretty strict about ford filters and ford oil... anything else, i'll be fed to the wolves.
Because I have a bud who took his in and they didn't tighten the filter. It was bone dry by the time he got home. Dealership ended up replacing The damaged parts of his engine, but it's never the same after that and he ended up getting rid of it. It's just always somthing I've done on my own and have piece of mind it's done right. I only buy proper OEM Motorcraft filter/oil from parts department anyway. Have all receipts too

but you claim to not being a noob, but have you researched into getting one of these? (like i did)

Yes I've "been researching" and found all kinds of them, too many actually LOL ...but I wanted to hear from my friends here to see what's working best for them! Thanks for the link, but that *might* be overkill :P ...are you using it, if so how long? How do you like it? Never seen one of those before.

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM

Default well....

Couldn't agree more. Would love to see your results. I'm thinking a filter relocation kit is going to be the easiest fix. As for the 90° drain plug their are too many options out there! Lol

Because I have a bud who took his in and they didn't tighten the filter. It was bone dry by the time he got home. Dealership ended up replacing The damaged parts of his engine, but it's never the same after that and he ended up getting rid of it. It's just always somthing I've done on my own and have piece of mind it's done right. I only buy proper OEM Motorcraft filter/oil from parts department anyway. Have all receipts too

Yes I've "been researching" and found all kinds of them, too many actually LOL ...but I wanted to hear from my friends here to see what's working best for them! Thanks for the link, but that *might* be overkill :P ...are you using it, if so how long? How do you like it? Never seen one of those before.

i didn't know they existed honestly.... until i started doing oil changes on kenworths at a shop and was always babysitting the same rigs. it would drain 40L (2 pails) of 15w40 in about 15 minutes.

so i applied this tech to my own truck. you get your hose, attach it to the one part of a plug, and you go at it.

the nice part of it, you can drain while working on your truck else where. personally tho, i'd pull the filter first, once it stops draining, then i'd go after the pan. always with the fill plug off, for ventilation.

as for the buddy with filter issues.... i'd just have the service writer get under my truck and make sure it's tight while i'm watching.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:29 AM

$29 for the plug and $32 for the coupling from Summit Racing... That's a lot of money for a drain plug!

Then you've got to store the coupling somewhere when it not in use then hope it doesn't get lost...

I'm going with the Fumoto for half the cost and don't have to store any separate parts.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by cavpilot
$29 for the plug and $32 for the coupling from Summit Racing... That's a lot of money for a drain plug!

Then you've got to store the coupling somewhere when it not in use then hope it doesn't get lost...

I'm going with the Fumoto for half the cost and don't have to store any separate parts.
To each their own....

The point is, someone complained and was frustrated... I showed what i use.

And i dont even drain my oil, i get the dealership to do it. Gives me time to look at the stangs.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Oil Change Nightmares.