Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

E-40D Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-40D Problems

Good morning from Southern Ill. New to this site and have looked at most of the posts in this section and didn't find anyone having the kind of problem I'm having with my 1992 F-150 trans.

History of truck: 1002 F-150, 302ci, E-40D trans. I bought the truck in 1994 and it had 9,000 miles on it at that time. At this time it has 71,000 miles on it. Garage kept and take better care of it than I do my wife. Don't tell her I said that.

About 2 months ago I started having a problem with it when I put it in reverse and try to back up. It doesn't do this all the time. I can start it in the morning and put it in reverse and back out of the garage without touching the gas pedal and every thing is fine. If I try to speed up any at all by giving it more pedal it acts like I am riding the brake. At this time I can take it out of reverse and put it right back in and it will back up fine until I touch the gas pedal again. It again feels like I am riding the brake.

I just got finished pulling both rear drums and the brakes are fine. I checked the front earlier and they are fine also.

It feels like I am torquing it up when this happens. When I move shifter to neutral it feels like driveline is relaxing and it will roll free.

None of local mechanics have heard of this problem before. I have a lot of experience with mechanics but most of it was in the '60's.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mjpchief
Good morning from Southern Ill. New to this site and have looked at most of the posts in this section and didn't find anyone having the kind of problem I'm having with my 1992 F-150 trans.

History of truck: 1002 F-150, 302ci, E-40D trans. I bought the truck in 1994 and it had 9,000 miles on it at that time. At this time it has 71,000 miles on it. Garage kept and take better care of it than I do my wife. Don't tell her I said that.
I am calling your wife!!!
About 2 months ago I started having a problem with it when I put it in reverse and try to back up. It doesn't do this all the time. I can start it in the morning and put it in reverse and back out of the garage without touching the gas pedal and every thing is fine. If I try to speed up any at all by giving it more pedal it acts like I am riding the brake. At this time I can take it out of reverse and put it right back in and it will back up fine until I touch the gas pedal again. It again feels like I am riding the brake.

I just got finished pulling both rear drums and the brakes are fine. I checked the front earlier and they are fine also.

It feels like I am torquing it up when this happens. When I move shifter to neutral it feels like driveline is relaxing and it will roll free.

None of local mechanics have heard of this problem before. I have a lot of experience with mechanics but most of it was in the '60's.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
That is a weird problem. Almsot sounds like the clutches are binding or its not going all the way into reverse. Might have a tranny shop check the electric actuators in the valve body. (I think its electric thats the E part of it.) Could be the actuator is not pushing the valve all the way. Was the transmission serviced regularly? I was kidding about calling the wife..Well not really.. My wife knows my truck is my mistress and gets treated very well.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 PM

Transmission fluid changed about 20,000 miles ago.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:40 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the actuators then. Almost sounds like a trans brake..lol. Locking the truck in 3rd and reverse since it uses the same clutch pack.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM

I'll run that by my transmission man.

I also replaced the switch on the side of the transmission but that didn't help.

Quick Reply: E-40D Problems