Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Door Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Sensor Issue

Hi All!

New to the forum, and new to Ford trucks in general. Just bought my brother's 2008 F150 XLT SuperCab 4.6L V8 this past weekend. The truck has about 114,000 kms (70,000 miles) and has been very well maintained, it looks like new inside and out!

The only minor problem with the truck is the front driver's door sensor. The truck does not recognize when the driver's door is open - no Door Ajar alarm or dash light, and the radio and lights do not go out after shutting the truck off and opening the door. The passenger side door works perfectly.

I was fully aware of the issue before purchasing, and a quick Google search revealed that it seems to be fairly common with this generation of F150s, and generally an easy fix. From what I understand, the sensor is located inside the latch itself. I haven't a chance yet to pull the door apart so I can inspect and grease the latch, but I've been generously filling the assembly with WD-40 a couple of times a day since Sunday in hopes of freeing up a potentially sticky switch. I also have not yet checked for broken wires/bad connections in the wiring bundle under the door sill.

Last night I got the Door Ajar light and alarm when I opened the door with the motor running, but after shutting the truck off it still didn't recognize the opened driver's door. Seems like either the WD-40 is slowly taking effect on a seriously tacked-up switch, or perhaps by coincidence, a bad connection happened to make contact for those couple of times that I opened the door.

There is one thing that has me a tad confused though. If the door sensor switch is located in the latch assembly, what is the function of the black switch located on the frame of the rear suicide door?? (See Picture)

Long post I know, but I wanted to squeeze in all the details I could.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!
Attached Thumbnails Door Sensor Issue-leftsupercab.jpg