Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Door Latches not working from outside

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Door Latches not working from outside

Hey guys,

I just bought a 96 and the door latches have started sticking on me. I am getting some lubricant today to work it in to the mechanisms but I need to know if there is also any sort of adjustment possible in case that doesn't work.

THey work better using the inside handle but still not good, I cannot get the door to open from the outside at all. This seems to be a sudden occurrence, best I can tell there was no gradual indication of the latches starting to stick.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Pull the door panel off and look inside, you will see plastic clips and metal rods about twice the diameter of a coat hanger, those plastic clips deteriorate and allow the rods to disconnect. The inside latches may be stripped out, made of plastic and is a common problem, only repair for that is replacing the latch assembly.

You should be able to obtain repair parts at any Ford dealer and possibly for the internal clips the help parts section in most auto parts stores.

Quick Reply: Door Latches not working from outside