Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

DIY Spark plug change questions

Old 01-20-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Spark plug change questions

Hello:

I have a 2007 5.4L 3V F150 and I would like to change the plugs on it myself. I purchased the truck brand new and have never had the plugs changed. It is currently sitting at about 76K miles.

I don't have much mechanical experience and although I feel confident that I can do this myself I am still trying gauge whether I should or not. I have a few questions and I figured this would be the best place to get answers. I have read the following post here: https://www.f150forum.com/f12/must-r...ve-engine-198/ I've also watched a few videos of guys changing spark plugs on youtube and read a few other "howto's" online and would like to get the following things cleared up:

1. Most videos and articles I've read mention that the engine should be cold when this is done. But other articles suggest that it should be warm, which one is correct?

2. Some folks swear by using an impact gun or air wrench and other folks say that you should do this by hand (a half turn in and a half turn out), which is best?

3. I noticed that some articles mention about adjusting the new plugs to fit the truck correctly, can I not buy spark plugs that are made specifically for my truck?

4. My biggest worry is having one of the spark plugs break on its way out. What kind of spark plugs would you recommend I buy that are less likely to break on my next maintenance, I have heard of platinum and iridium spark plugs, which would work best in my truck?

5. Some folks recommend warming the engine the night before, removing the coils and then spraying carburator cleaner around the spark plugs and leaving them soaking for 12 hours prior to starting the removal. Another article recommended getting access to the spark plugs right away, loosening them 1/8th of a turn, soaking the plug well with carb cleaner for an hour or so and then taking them out. Which is the best practice? is it necessary to soak them overnight?

6. I was looking through the entire engine compartment and some of those plugs seem to be nested quite far back with a few wires in the way. Someone had suggested removing the ECM and the bracket that goes along with it, would you recommend this? any special tools that I would need for this?

7. What kind of extractor tool set would you recommend in case I did break a plug?

8. Is there a Ford spark plug removal socket specific to my truck? would the dealership be the best place to buy this or would a local shop have them?

9. So far this is my list of tools that I think I will need, please feel free to let me know if I am missing something:

- Long needle nose pliers (to get out the sparkplug socket if it got stuck)
- Really long extension ~9"
- Medium extension
- short extension
- 7mm rachet (for the coils)
- 10mm rachet (to remove the ECM)
- Ford spark plug tool (I am assuming they make one)
- snap-on 3/8th impact gun (unless you guys tell me otherwise)
- air nozzle
- 3/8th rachet
- swivel / universal joint
- 8mm wrench (to get battery off when I remove the ECM)
- dielectric grease (for the coil packs)
- Broken spark plug Removal kit (not sure what brand is best)
- Tube of anti-seize compound (any suggestions on brand?)

10. Do you have any other tips or things that I should be aware of that may make this process easier?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

It seems like you have done all the research you needed to do. You should never use the word "impact gun" and "sparkplug" in the same sentence. Do it all by hand. The engine should be cold, the coils removed, no spray will help until the plug is broken loose, use a standard spark plug socket, use Motorcraft factory plugs, put anti-seize on the threads "Permatex" or Lock Tight of the new plugs, remove any brackets that are in the way. Keep in mind some plugs can be removed thru the wheel well. If you break a plug the go to a NAPA and get the easy-out tool. The half turn in half turn out is a great suggestion. Once you've started a plug out, you can spray a little WD-40 as you work it out. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Spark plug change questions