Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Direct Injection engines and new habits for care

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Direct Injection engines and new habits for care

Every car that I've owned in the past was a traditional non boosted port fuel injected engine. So when I got my Ecoboost, everything is completely different. Since the engine is a turbo charged direct injected engine, oil recommendations, fuel additives, and maintenance routines are different. Below is just a brief description of what I've read on proper care and maintenance for an engine like the Ecoboost
  • Fuel additives. Because the engine uses direct injection, the typical fuel additive to clean carbon build up no longer works since the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder and not through the port. This implies that fuel and cleaners will never reach the valves and won't have a chance to clean the carbon build up. As a preventative routine, running the engine for a period of time under load or high rpm (like 20 minutes at a time once a month) will allow the cylinder heads to heat up enough to burn off the carbon and keep build up to a minimum.
  • Oil. Using an oil that has low volatility (something called low NOACK) and high sheer strength is necessary to minimize wear on a turbo charged engine components. This will reduce the amount of oil being introduced into the intake and thus reduce the carbon buildup.
  • Use tier 1 fuels. My guess is that tier 1 fuels have cleaning elements in it that will help keep the engine cleaner than running a lower grade of fuel found at your run of the mill gas stations and kwikimart.
This is what I've gathered so far from reading on other forums with regards to direct injected engines. Do you guys have any comments on any of this?

Quick Reply: Direct Injection engines and new habits for care