Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Death of a brand new Magnaflow Cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death of a brand new Magnaflow Cat

Just had new, hi-flow cats by Magnaflow installed on my truck thinking it was the source of power loss issues in my 05. No such luck, still had erratic idling, going from smooth to rpms dropping to the point that the truck shut down.

I started hearing a metallic rattling under the truck and accidentally hit the gas getting out of the truck to locate the source and suddenly the truck smoothed out, no fluctuations. I walk to the rear of the truck and found this, the insides of my new cats.

I wonder how Magnaflow is going to handle this one. By the way, Denso coils suck. Out of the eight I installed, half were bad.
Attached Thumbnails Death of a brand new Magnaflow Cat-20170207_165004.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Are you sure that debris is not from the old catalytic converters? Are you running straight pipes? Otherwise I doubt that debris would have made it through the muffler.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:13 PM
F150 Forum

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi NKY, we're sorry to hear about your new cats. It sounds like there is likely an engine-related issue at hand, which can damage the catalytic converters or compromise performance, especially if it is related to the ignition system. Please give our customer support line a call at your earliest convenience so we can discuss the options going forward. We can be reached anytime during the week from 7am-5pm at 1-800-990-0905. We look forward to speaking with you!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phyer Phyter
Are you sure that debris is not from the old catalytic converters? Are you running straight pipes? Otherwise I doubt that debris would have made it through the muffler.
I'm with you. Old cats causing a restriction, pieces blow out of exhaust and now truck runs fine.