Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

dead short in brake switch

Old 09-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead short in brake switch

i have a dead short in my brake switch wiring i have no brake lights and no blinkers and no cruise i changed fuse and every time i aplly brake press fuse blows changed switch with no success,, also noticed i have no 4wd low goes into high but no low,, and auto door lock not working (5 mph enage) if anyone has had this problem or could give me any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated my truck just ran over factory warranty and while still under warranty dealerhip gave me the runaround on how it could be something i did and may take several days to fix and may not be covered under warranty,,, they never even checked the easiest things to look at so im stuck with no brake lights so again any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
KAH

Default Shorted brake switch ??

I do not know how the vehicle warranty works but if you have
previously been to the dealer with a vehicle under warranty having a problem, they should make it good, especially for a safety related item.

However, you probably will need some sort of documentation showing you had it in for service work.

But this is a safety issue and I would think that Ford would be a bit more co-operative.

I would go around the dealer and contact the next level. Just how to do this is something I have no knowledge of. Perhaps other members of this board would provide the information as to how one contacts the local Ford representative. I have no idea. Perhaps it might be something as simple as looking into the telephone directory.

Ken H.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not knowing what you are driving, (not given) the no cruise control interests me as there is a recall on a disconnect in that system. You definately have a short. Has any mods been done? Any aftermarket changes? Need to eliminate any changes to the basic wireing.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Bill about any electrical mods. You'll need to check every circuit connected to the brake switch. Start with rear lights - disconnect them and see what happens.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
KAH

Gentlemen:

I beg to differ with the two preceding posted replies.

This is a safety issue. And as such has highest priority.

The man states he had the truck to the dealer who
failed to fix it under warranty.

Assuming there is an adequate paper trail to show that
is the case, Ford should fix it under the terms of the warranty.

Now if there has been a bunch of rewiring done as sometimes
happens, the warranty argument is non valid, kaput.

Please let us know how this works out.

Ken H.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Ford Enthusiast

Sounds like maybe multiple problems. Have you had the cruise control switch recall performed yet? Have you taken the brake switch off the brake pedal and checked for continunity? I cant remember for sure but I think there used to be a problem with the wiring harness connector behind the rear bumper that connects ties the bed into the rest of the truck. I remember that connector being a problematic like maybe coming loose or corrosion. Check that out, its worth a shot.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the Year the switch that controls the brake light from the cruise control might be in different locations. On my truck the light switch is mounted on the rod connecting the power booster to the pedal. The cruise switch is mounted on a pressure switch in the hydraulic lines. I have had problems with some of the light switches on these shorting out and blowing fuses the switch is held onto the push rod with a e-clip and relatively easy to replace if burnt. The cruise switch on mine will be difficult to replace considering that I will then have to bleed the brakes afterword. The light switch is placed on the pedal to allow for the light to work even if the brakes fail on the side with the pressure switch. I know this because I have lost my rear brakes due to a rotten hard line by the wheel cylinder before. This happened right after having the cylinders replaced at a shop rather than doing the work myself.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You havent installed LEDs on the truck have you? I've read alot of postings concerning this issue when LEDs tails are installed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dead short in brake switch