Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Cruise control switches, no backlight??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control switches, no backlight??

I have a 2003 F-150 Heritage Edition Supercab 5.4L. The backlights behind the left hand cruise control buttons haven't worked since I got it and now the right hand side switches are out. I've read Ford says to replace the switches that run about $100. I've heard of people actually changing the bulbs and my question is what bulbs should I get and where? Also, what is the process to change them? I have a lot of experience soldering so that's not an issue for me if they're soldered in. Seems ridiculous to pay that much money for such a minor problem.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

They are not bulbs, they are led's sealed inside the switch assembly on a circuit board. Never tried to open them so can't help ya with a how to.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
They are not bulbs, they are led's sealed inside the switch assembly on a circuit board. Never tried to open them so can't help ya with a how to.

I took my switches apart and they do have bulbs, not led's. I did fix one side using a bulb from radio shack and a bit of soldering. I haven't gotten to the other side yet. 12v, 75-80ma bulbs seem to be just right.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I guess I was lied to, as I said I have never opened them up before, was just going by what a fellow tech had told me many moons ago, must be some super tiny bulbs.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I guess I was lied to, as I said I have never opened them up before, was just going by what a fellow tech had told me many moons ago, must be some super tiny bulbs.
Yeah, they are small. Just one bulb per side. They have a green rubber sleeve that slides over them to get the color. Very fragile. Overall I would say if you feel you really need those lights and have enough cash just buy new ones. Repairing these is no fun and pretty delicate work.

Quick Reply: Cruise control switches, no backlight??