Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Crack in the rim

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crack in the rim

Hi there, I need an opinion from someone who knows a little more; however, it might be just common sense problem. Regardless, I have an 03 king ranch and i noticed that on my rear passenger wheel there appears to be a decent size crack/chip on the inside of the rim. I've been driving with it for a good amount of time, since march perhaps (if not earlier)
Anyways tell me what you think, is it safe to drive with it or should I replace the wheel asap?

Thank you.
-Arthur.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It is fixable. I have a rim off my 2013 F150 on right now getting a crack from hitting a pothole fixed. Search for a local rim repair place. The place I deal with in Saskatchewan is Kelvins Wheel in Saskatoon. $250 to weld up the crack and machine everything smooth again. This crack was causing the tire to leak about 2-3psi per day.
Attached Thumbnails Crack in the rim-image-3489726894.jpg  
Old 08-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you very much for the reply, my dealer was advising me to put a completely different wheel instead but I'll try our local kal tire perhaps and see how it goes! The tire isn't leaking in my case, I'm planning a trip across Canada (4600km) so it is a concern for me.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think Kal tire can weld aluminum. You will have to find a specialty tire shop. They have to grind away at the crack, aluminum weld the crack, then machine it all smooth, paint and rebalance the tire. Most normal tire shops don't have the personnel on hand who can weld aluminum. Do a quick google search of rim repair shops in your city, and make some phone calls. Tell them you have a crack in your aluminum ford factory rim, and ask if they can repair it. If they say no, ask them who in town can. Good luck! Should only cost around $250 for the repairs once you find a shop that can do it.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2006 18" lariat wheel. had a slow leak for 8 years. eventually it completely split. During those 8 years I went o the ford dealer, private garage, walmart. no one could find a leak eventually the wheel split with a crack 5 inches long by 1/4 inch wide. I went through four tires during that time. I only have 85k miles

Quick Reply: Crack in the rim