Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

"coughing" tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "coughing" tranny

2007 with about 75,000 miles. When I press the gas pedal aggresively like when accelerating onto the highway, when it shifts to a lower gear, my truck will "cough" momentarily and then kick into gear. Doesn't slip, but just goes silent for approx one second before kicking into gear.

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Nothern,
my truck does something similiar. Tried to pass on the highway the other day, truck went into "neutral mode", didn't engage "over drive", don't know if truck has it, but I let off just as fast as I had accelerated. Am afraid to try again. Just bought the truck, don't like the idea of a mechanic saying your trans is shot!!! But you said, truck enganged "passing gear" shortly after? That gives me hope. Maybe I didn't give my tranny time enough to engage.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it operates normal in that it will drop to the correct gear but it takes about one full second to get there after it goes neutral" or coughs as I put it. Not slipping in the traditional sense but just delays getting into gear.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah,

in that sense the "lesser of all evils" applies, be thankful you got a "passing gear" that works. Could be worse, your passing gear (or whatever that mechanism is called) could be out completely. Will contiue to read on, hopefully something will come up regarding your tranny hiccup. Later.

Quick Reply: "coughing" tranny