Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Code 334 help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 334 help

Got a computer code 334, so I replaced the EGR and Sensor with new. I retested and I'm still showing code 334??

Any ideas or am I doing something wrong?

I used code reader 3145 by innova.

It's a 1992 F150 4.9 2wd rear.

Any help would be great, thank you in advance!

Last edited by Fordnew; 07-23-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:31 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

What "Sensor", the DPFE Sensor?

If so, what on earth lead to that conclusion? I realize excessive exhaust recirculation could lead to labor knock under a load, but P0334 points to problems with the knock sensor circuit, not necessarily excessive knocks. That would lead to other codes from the ECU over reacting to the knocks.

The description for P0334 is:
------------------------------------------------------------
P0334 Ford - Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Intermittent Bank 2
Possible causes
- Faulty knock sensor
- Knock sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Knock sensor harness is open or shorted
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Tech notes
The P0334 code means that the Knock Sensor is not working properly. Problems with the knock sensor will not cause an engine performance problems. Replacing the knock sensor usually takes care of the problem.

When is the code detected?
An excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM)
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible Lack/Loss of Power
P0334 Ford Description
The knock sensor is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is sensed as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM).
Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0334_ford.html#ixzz3gumFeMSX
Old 07-25-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Torqued
What "Sensor", the DPFE Sensor?

If so, what on earth lead to that conclusion? I realize excessive exhaust recirculation could lead to labor knock under a load, but P0334 points to problems with the knock sensor circuit, not necessarily excessive knocks. That would lead to other codes from the ECU over reacting to the knocks.

The description for P0334 is:
------------------------------------------------------------
P0334 Ford - Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Intermittent Bank 2
Possible causes
- Faulty knock sensor
- Knock sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Knock sensor harness is open or shorted
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Tech notes
The P0334 code means that the Knock Sensor is not working properly. Problems with the knock sensor will not cause an engine performance problems. Replacing the knock sensor usually takes care of the problem.

When is the code detected?
An excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM)
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible Lack/Loss of Power
P0334 Ford Description
The knock sensor is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is sensed as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM).
Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0334_ford.html#ixzz3gumFeMSX

You're confusing OBDI with OBDII, the codes are completely different.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordnew
Got a computer code 334, so I replaced the EGR and Sensor with new. I retested and I'm still showing code 334??

Any ideas or am I doing something wrong?

I used code reader 3145 by innova.

It's a 1992 F150 4.9 2wd rear.

Any help would be great, thank you in advance!
That code is for the EVP sensor. Pita due to several variances, one that sticks out in my mind is the o-ring your using to seal the sensor to the egr valve, I have run across many where it was not thick enough or too thick, also experienced many where the sensor pintle shaft was too long.

Using a vacuum gauge connected to the egr vacuum line do a KOER self test with the scanner and see if the pcm is commanding the solenoid to open for engine vacuum.

Have also experienced a burned out circuit in the pcm that controls that circuit. Need to make sure the continuity of the wiring between the evp sensor, evp solenoid, and pcm is intact with an ohm meter, that's if the koer test shows no vacuum applied to the gauge.

Last edited by RLXXI; 07-25-2015 at 12:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 01:59 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Default -confusing- is putting it lightly!

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You're confusing OBDI with OBDII, the codes are completely different.

@Rnlcomp , Thanks for well deserved swift kick in the ***. And THANKS for your detailed and helpful post to @Fordnew .

I spend more time rummaging around in the 2004-2008 Forum trying to keep my '04 running right than I do in Maintenance Shop and I didn't even think about the difference until my feet cleared the ground!

But - helping @Fordnew was the objective, so it was worth it.

Quick Reply: Code 334 help