Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

???Clutch Safety Switch???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???Clutch Safety Switch???

I have a ’95 F150 4.9L I6. A couple months ago the shaft on the Clutch Hydraulic Pump broke necessitating a replacement pump. I took it to my local garage (I don’t have a lot of experience with this garage but all the internet reviews are favorable and they seem to be pretty honest) and they had it fixed in a couple hours.

Fast-forward to the other day. I worked my shift and when I went out to start the truck I got nothing. I checked the terminals on the battery. They are clean and tight. I go back and now I get a clicking. It isn’t the rhythmic clicking one gets when the battery is too tired to turn the starter (a fast click-click-click). This is more of a lower pitch clack-clack-pause-clack-clack-clack-pause… There isn’t really a rhythm to it. At first I thought the battery and asked for a jump. After ten or fifteen minutes I still couldn’t get more than the clack-clack. It wouldn’t even try to turn over. I gave up and got a ride home.

I came in early today to look at it. I tested the battery and I’m getting 12.5 Volts. Again, the terminals are clean and the clamps are tight. I shined a light down to the solenoid and starter and the contacts look clean. Here’s the interesting part, at one point I wasn’t thinking and I stood on the pavement, reached in to turn the ignition and I got the clack-clack noise like it was trying to start. The key here is that I had not depressed the clutch.

Does this sound like a faulty Clutch Safety Switch? Should I be looking at something else? If you need more information let me know.

Thanks.
PR
Old 11-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

if the clutch switch was bad it wouldnt even try to turn over
Old 11-23-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
if the clutch switch was bad it wouldnt even try to turn over

So if it isn't the clutch switch; what should I be looking for?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 PM

Update: I went out today and decided to pull the battery and put it on a slow charge overnight. When I removed the positive terminal clamp it broke in two. I also found some oxidation in and on the wires that were clampped into the terminal. I will slow charge the battery tonight and replace the broken clamp then post my results.

Other ideas from the group are still quite welcome at this point.

Thanks,

PR
Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

First of all do not use "clamp on style" battery cable repair ends unless it's absolutely necessary. You'll have more trouble down the road. Get the whole new cable. The other area you may have issues with is the starter solenoid. The rotating contact may be worn or burnt. That clicking sound is the solenoid trying to make contact and engage the starter.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:58 PM

Problem solved. I cleaned the wires and replaced the terminal clamp. Fired right up (in gear). Seems the safety switch isn't doing its job.

Marc,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Moderator,

Feel free to close this thread.

Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: ???Clutch Safety Switch???