Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Clearing Check Engine light - after fixing misfire

Old 06-13-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clearing Check Engine light - after fixing misfire

Hi all,

My 2011 ecoboost developed a shocking mis-fire over the weekend, so I pulled the old plugs, regapped a new set to 28 to 30 thou, and put them in. No more misfire, but I still have the check engine light on.

I have confirmed via an auto store that the code that is showing is for a mis-fire on a couple of the cylinders, but they won't reset the check engine light, concerned about liability.....

I have done a whole bunch of searching for a means of resetting the light without going to a dealership, and have tried disconnecting the battery (left it over night). Then tried disconnecting the battery and connecting the positive and negative leads to discharge whatever capacitance there maybe in the system, also left the lights on. All no good - light is still there.

Any other suggestions ?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

I am super surprised that leaving the battery disconnected overnight didn't work. Auto stores won't clear codes because they are worried about you clearing a fault and selling the car to an unsuspecting buyer.

I bought my own scangauge for giggles, but I know that sometimes you can find an autozone/oreilly/checker guy with the scanner who'll clear the code for you.

Just find another store and ask- tell him you're not selling it, just fixing your issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clearing Check Engine light - after fixing misfire