Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Cleaning Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Throttle Body

I have a 2005 4.6L Screw, and it has recently been hesitating, and sometimes stalling in different situations, and is very sluggish with response to the accelerator. I have read tons and tons of material on various forums, and everyone points to cleaning the throttle body, which seems to be a fairly simple ordeal, but there have been tons of varying stories, so I decided to ask directly. Is it better to remove the throttle body entirely and clean it, or leave it on and clean it?? If left on, will throttle body cleaner harm the cats?? Or has anyone ever used the BG services that cleans the injectors, throttle body, intake valves and other things?? If anyone has any experience in this, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read the post on sea foaming your engine and change your fuel filter before you out lay a lot of $$$ i clean my throttle body with cab cleaner and a clean cloth...on the truck...
Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/sea-foam-216/index5/

I leave it on (some take off, its only 4 bolts) and clean with a tooth brush and TB cleaner spray or seafoam then wipe clean. Then seafoam through the vacuum line, crankcase and gas tank... Run the truck fairly aggressive for 300-500 miles and change the oil...

Good info on the link posted above...
Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by missan nissan
read the post on sea foaming your engine and change your fuel filter before you out lay a lot of $$$ i clean my throttle body with cab cleaner and a clean cloth...on the truck...
wait so we need to change the fuel filter after seafoaming?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Change fuel filter AFTER seafoam... That way you filter all the gunk out from the cleaning of seafoam with the old filter!

No carb cleaner on the TB either...

Quick Reply: Cleaning Throttle Body