Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Check engine light/dealership rec....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light/dealership rec....

I have a 2009 f150 platinum that I bought from my FIL. Currently has 110k miles. Exactly one year ago, the truck started idling hard/shaking and giving off smoky smell. It was displaying an intermentant check engine light. Dealer couldn't repicate issue and sent me on my way. Fairly quickly the truck stopped starting after I filled up with gas. After researching on here I requested that the solonoids be changed. That did seem to fix the problem. Overall the truck has the diesel sound that has been reported but I haven't had any further issues. Fast forward to two days ago. Check engine light comes on and truck was shaking violently. Didn't even think I would get it to,the dealer. Of course the dreaded "INTERNAL ENGINE FAULT CAUSING ENGINE LIGHT
* VCT, PHAZERS, TENSIONERS, AND GUILDS" has now been brought up. In addition, to other things. I'm posting full rec repairs below.

I've read through the cam phaser thread but my question wasn't really answered. Is this hefty price tag repair worth it at this point? Is this the start of a lengthy process of continual repairs in y'all's experience? I'm concerned that I will make the repair and it won't solve the issue and dealer will end up suggesting motor replacement etc.... Advice?

S16
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON RUNS ROUGH
$ 2774.42
INTERNAL ENGINE FAULT CAUSING ENGINE LIGHT
* VCT, PHAZERS, TENSIONERS, AND GUILDS,
NID
NO INTERVAL DUE VEHICLE HISTORY INDICATESNO MAINTENANCE INTERVAL DUE
$ 0.00
99P
COMPLIMENTARY MULTIPOINT INSPECTION ... A $49.97 VALUE (99P)
$ 0.00
SW
COURTESY WASH ~ WASH EXTERIOR
$ 0.00
SUB-TOTAL ESTIMATE WHEN APPROVED: $ 2774.42

ADDITIONAL SERVICE REPAIR $ 329.95
3PACK
CARBON BUILD-UP
* ~ PREMIUM FUEL INJECTION SERVICE ENGINE DECARB / EMMISION SERVICE THROTTLE BODY AND IAC VALVE SERVICE
ADDITIONAL SERVICE REPAIR $ 416.00
AFTER LINE REPAIR OF VCT CONCERN, WILL ALSO NEED A V8 TUNEUP AND 3-PACK
* 5.4L 3V V8 TUNEUP
SUB-TOTAL ESTIMATE WHEN APPROVED: $ 745.95
Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Is the truck nice enough to warrant a new motor? If yes then get it done....BUT.....I'd find another independent shop for an estimate. If I'm adding right you'll spend $3500 to fix the problem with a new motor and I assume get a 3 year 36K mile warranty on the work. Negotiate the warranty. New trucks cost a lot more than that. Your other option is trade it in and get a new one.

Quick Reply: Check engine light/dealership rec....