Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable; Pick any two....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheap, Fast or Reliable; Pick any two....

When I was at engineering school. They told me there are 3 broad class of products on the market.

1, The Best, regardless of cost.
2, Products where engineers had made an educated compromise between performance, reliability and cost.
3, Price sensitive, performance and reliability is compromised to achieve low selling price.

Needless to say, our F-150s is a commercial product where profits need to be made and I trust Ford engineers had made some smart and ethical compromises to balance Cost, Performance and Reliability.

Nothing runs forever, I follow factory maintenance plane to the T but parts will need to be replaced as they wear out. I am a preventive maintenance kind of guy, so I would set aside research time and money so I can afford and find a trustworthy replacement if I know a part is due.

When I replace parts, I will try to get the best if finances allow. I prioritize my needs as passenger safety, reliability and passenger comfort. I have a 2011 XLT Screw and I rarely go off-road or tow.

My question is, when replacement is due, what parts will you replace with the best and which one will do with a good engineering compromise? Which brand/service would you choose? Do you go cheap on any replacement parts?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I'll bite. It depends on what it is and how much money is in my pocket. Oil and filter, tires, wiper blades etc are generally a balance between research and affordability. Body work is what insurance will pay for or what I can DIY. Most things that I decide that I have to go top of the line for I install myself to save labor charges. Long term wear stuff tranny, differential fluid and the like get best possible (whatever that is).
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

is it just me, or does anyone else think of how people grocery shop when reading this thread?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
What's that mean?

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Commander316
is it just me, or does anyone else think of how people grocery shop when reading this thread?
I wasn't going to say anything but that was exactly what I was thinking!

"My question is, when replacement is due, what parts will you replace with the best and which one will do with a good engineering compromise? Which brand/service would you choose? Do you go cheap on any replacement parts?"

To answer your question, It all depends on how much money I have and what needs replacement. For the most part I choose to get the best I can with the amount I have. Important fluids, no compromise because it keeps my truck it tip top shape. Cosmetics don't rank high on the priority list so I get the "cheaper" products. Any and all labor I do myself because it gives me a sense of satisfaction and better knowledge of the workings of my truck...that and I don't trust other people to my truck. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Cheap, Fast or Reliable; Pick any two....