Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Changing ignition coils 5.4 need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing ignition coils 5.4 need some advice

I am about to change all eight coils on my 2001 S crew. Is there anything I need to remove to be able to get them out?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Do you have the COPs? I just did this on my 2003 SuperCrew 5.4 Ive read a couple of threads where memebers reccomended removing the fuel rail, I didnt. I didnt use any special tools, I have a variety of extensions but I did use a swivel joint to get the 3rd one back on the drivers side. The rest were pretty straight forward and could get to with a little manuevering. I did unhook the rubber line coming off the PCV valve to get some room on the passenger side. It took me about 3 hours or so taking my time and a lunch break.
I was kind of intimidated at first but as I went along I got pretty comfortable with it and in the end it wasnt all that bad. I was doing a plug change but had to take all the COPs off to get it done. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Un loose the fuel rails..disconnect the fuel injectors and coils...then grab a 6pack....u might want to go to ace hardware and get a few extra bolts for the coils cause u might loose em on #4 #8 and #7...

Quick Reply: Changing ignition coils 5.4 need some advice