Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Changing fuel filter, but can't get to the fuel shutoff

Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fuel filter, but can't get to the fuel shutoff

I have a 05 Lariat and need to change the fuel filter. I read that the best way to relieve the fuel pressure is to hit the disconnect and crank the motor. Being that I just can't seem to hit the switch right, what alternative do I have. How much fuel would I lose if I don't do this? Can I just open the gas cap or let it sit?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sparko2010
I have a 05 Lariat and need to change the fuel filter. I read that the best way to relieve the fuel pressure is to hit the disconnect and crank the motor. Being that I just can't seem to hit the switch right, what alternative do I have. How much fuel would I lose if I don't do this? Can I just open the gas cap or let it sit?
unplug the switch or the pump, don't bang on it. then crank the motor.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see much of anything by the fuel switch... is it easy to unplug? When you say unplug the pump do you mean pull the fuse? I can't find a diagram that shows which fuse it is.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sparko2010

Don't even worry about relieving the fuel pressure. I have a 2005 stx. Did mine, just pulled the old fuel filter off and not that much fuel came out. Used a pan to catch the gas. Wasn't that much maybe a couple ounces.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel pressure is released when you turn the key off. like stated above only a little fuel will flow out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing fuel filter, but can't get to the fuel shutoff