Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

changed sparkplugs now will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed sparkplugs now will not start

98 ford f150 I simply just changed spark plugs and wires now it will not start, tried to use starting fluid thinking the fuel pump went but still will not start so I checked everything a 100 times I have the coil packs "not the ones on the spark plugs type" but the 4 in one type I have 12 volts going to them and the pcm is giving them the single they are sparking but a weak orange spark not white/blue what gets me is truck ran before I changed spark plugs and I have two coil packs so the chances of them both going bad as I changing my spark plugs I would think would very rare indeed I was having some misfire issues and check eng light before I changed so my question I guess is what else could make a coil pack put out a orange besides a bad coil pack and why both gone bad during a spark plug change or am I missing something here...please help
Old 12-27-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

As weird as it may sound I think your anti-theft system is engaged. You may have a bad key chip or during the install process a wire was disconnected under the hood. Try a second key and if that doesn't help start looking for a random wire loose under the hood. good luck
Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc D
As weird as it may sound I think your anti-theft system is engaged. You may have a bad key chip or during the install process a wire was disconnected under the hood. Try a second key and if that doesn't help start looking for a random wire loose under the hood. good luck
I kind of more of less fixed it after 3 days of trying to figure it out .it was a bad wiring harness going to the mass air flow.i had always tried to start with everything plugged in yesterday I tried with the maf unplugged and it started right up,i always thought they would not even start with a maf unplugged the wire was shorting out and causing a weak spark to plugs makes so since to me since your pcm only gives a ground single to your coil but it had a very weak spark and would not start even with starting fluid.i had replaced wires coiles spark plugs cam censer rank censer none of that helped out with the starting issues untell I unplugged the maf .it runs but still missing under load and check light came on today so now I can read a code but the missing issues is why I was changing the plugs in the first place before I had the no start issues.....

Quick Reply: changed sparkplugs now will not start