Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

changed out champions at 138,000

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default changed out champions at 138,000

Ran them since 80,000 , they worked great. Put new ones in-- coated tip with nickel antiseize same as last ones , they came out easy unlike the oem plugs that broke .
This time I did coat the threads of the spark plug with anti seize too.
Maybe I will try new design autolites in the future if I don't hear any bad things about them .
Gaps were fine on 7989 champions . Put new boots on coils this time and coated boot with dielectric grease with q tip per you tube video. Just enough to prevent boot from bonding to spark plug. Avoid getting on metal parts.
I could tell that the never seize worked on the tip and the carbon was trying to seize the tip as the removal torque was high and the old plugs might have sheared if I had used the old two piece plugs.
I would not recommend pushing any plugs past 60k in this engine because of the tip design being seized by the carbon .
2005 f150 lariat 5.4 3v at 138,000
The following users liked this post:
Big Lew (11-14-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 AM
PapaTrk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Plugs no increase in mileage

Originally Posted by redfishtd
Ran them since 80,000 , they worked great. Put new ones in-- coated tip with nickel antiseize same as last ones , they came out easy unlike the oem plugs that broke .
This time I did coat the threads of the spark plug with anti seize too.
Maybe I will try new design autolites in the future if I don't hear any bad things about them .
Gaps were fine on 7989 champions . Put new boots on coils this time and coated boot with dielectric grease with q tip per you tube video. Just enough to prevent boot from bonding to spark plug. Avoid getting on metal parts.
I could tell that the never seize worked on the tip and the carbon was trying to seize the tip as the removal torque was high and the old plugs might have sheared if I had used the old two piece plugs.
I would not recommend pushing any plugs past 60k in this engine because of the tip design being seized by the carbon .
2005 f150 lariat 5.4 3v at 138,000
Had mine done by Ford at 90K and did not help mileage. In some regards it has gotten worse. Now have 109K. Think maybe Ford put in cheap plugs.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:32 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default sudden missfire

changed throttle body and champion plugs two weeks later started misfire number 1 . moved coil to number 2 and put several different plugs in number 1 no change-- code stayed on number 1 . Changed out injector number 1 fixed problem --put champion 7989 back in number 1 . Carefully cleaned out sand and dirt from injector hole with oily rags to pick up dirt and sand. . oiled old injector o-rings to help them seat in plastic manifold . Bought 1 new sorneson injector from auto zone may change them all out in near future. Around 34 bucks each . Auto zone very helpful in downloading codes.
139k maybe the life of these injectors, second set of champions only recommend 60k on any plug , not going back to two piece plugs. Passenger side fuel rail was easy but I should have pulled fuel pump fuse and ran truck until fuel pressure gone , sprayed fuel everywhere had battery ground off truck warm- fuel sizzled on engine ,gas cap undone .. This was my first time with fuel injectors.

Quick Reply: changed out champions at 138,000