Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Changed Fuel Filter - Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Fuel Filter - Won't Start

I have a 2006 XLT 4x2 with the small V8. I changed the fuel filter today without issue. There was no leaking from the filter. I started the vehicle and it ran fine; however, I didn't let it run long. Now, I can't get the truck to start. I keep turning the key into auxiliary for a second and then turning it off... I think I have air in the fuel lines. I have gotten it close to starting but haven't gotten it to start. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 AM
Mountain Dew Guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azcowgirl90
I have a 2006 XLT 4x2 with the small V8. I changed the fuel filter today without issue. There was no leaking from the filter. I started the vehicle and it ran fine; however, I didn't let it run long. Now, I can't get the truck to start. I keep turning the key into auxiliary for a second and then turning it off... I think I have air in the fuel lines. I have gotten it close to starting but haven't gotten it to start. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Did you put the filter the right way? They are one way filters. They should have an arrow on them.

If yes cycle the key about 8-10 times. Then try start it
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

x2 on key cycling. I always do it 3 times and then crank. Never an issue.

If installed the proper way, make sure you didn't use the flex fuel filter by mistake, part #fg-1083. But it should not fit on it or cause it to not operate.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 AM

I installed the Duralast Fuel Filter (Part #: FF686DL). I double checked the filter direction. It is facing the correct way. I've cycled it multiple times over the amount mentioned in previous posts. A few times the engine was on the cusp of firing but it never did. I would think the air would be completely out of the lines by now... Could it be something other than air in the fuel lines?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

Did you put the old one back on to see if it will run?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

was there plastic caps on the fuel filter? if one of those got pushed into the fuel line it would prevent starting...

if you have been cranking for awhile its a good idea to charge the battery up
Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Changing a fuel filter shouldn't prevent an engine from starting. I would remove the motor side hose from the new filter and cycle the key to run (not start) to see if you have fuel flow through the filter. It's possible you have air trapped in the fuel rail. If you're good there, with help, remove the air filter and spray a light spray of ether into it and try and start it. You can also use WD-40 as a start fluid. It's just less effective but less volatile. Good luck

Last edited by Marc D; 03-11-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 AM

So it wasn't the fuel filter after all. The fuel pump needed to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Changed Fuel Filter - Won't Start