Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

catalytic converter temps before/after question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default catalytic converter temps before/after question

so i have been wondering about my converters due to its high mileage, 215K(2001 4.6l), I bought it at 196k and have had it roughly 2 yrs. i dont know whether or not these are the originals but i measured the temps going into and out of the cats. now to my knowledge, the temps are to be lower going in and higher out. that being said here are the numbers i gathered from my infrared thermometer.

drivers side: APPROX. 410* F in===503*(Out and in the next cat)== 390* out the last cat

pass side: APPROX. 515* in===620*(Out and in the next cat)==410* out the last cat

so the numbers in the first cats would appear to be somewhat normal? however out of the final cats temp is lower which is what i would expect assuming the first set of cats are doing most of the converting but going back to the it should be hotter on the way out principle. correct me if i am missing something and if anybody knows more on this subject let me know. im going to retake these measurements on another day also to compare.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter temps before/after question