Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Cant use Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Cant use Drive

I bought my 1993 Ford F-150 XL last summer in 2007, and earlier this month my truck decided not to let me use the drive gear. So i am stuck using overdrive everywhere i go. When i place my truck in park or neutral the truck will make a whirring noise somewhere from under the hood. By the way i am not mechanically inclined so i have no idea what could be wrong, the only thing usefull i have heard is that it might be some kind of cable that needs to be re-adjusted, so if anyone could give me any suggestions on what to do i would really appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The cable that you mentioned is for the PRNDL indicator. If it points towards the correct function, then it should be OK. P for park, R for reverse, N for neutral, ect. ect. Then it should be OK. Problem elsewhere.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I think he's referring to the T.V. cable, and if the tranny is an E4OD then it doesn't have it. The whirring is probably the transmission pump. It sounds similiar to the power steering pump when it goes bad.

Quick Reply: Cant use Drive