Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C not working

All

Before I go to the stealership, I figured I would ask here first:

My 04 f150's a/c isn't working properly. The compressor engages for only 5sec. There's plenty of refrigerant. Before the clutch engages/disengages you can hear a slight click from the firewall behind the ECU.

If any of you can help I would greatly appreciate it

thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM
A New York state of mind

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WTF Spammers
Old 06-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go here everthing you ever wanted to know about your AC system can be found there. They have manuals, the equipment, and a forum where every answer can be found.

http://www.autoacsystems.com/fasttrack/otubes.html

Sounds like you might have, a bad pressure switch, or because of a clogged orifice tube the switch is cutting out the compressor to prevent over pressure damage. There is also what is called the black death in R134A systems. That is where seals and other "rubber" parts in the system come loose mostly from a compressor that is failing and clog up the accumulator/dryer, the orifice tube, and the condensor. Again, for the same reason as above the pressure switch will disconnect the compressor's clutch. If you have to replace the compressor you also need to replace the condensor as well, Part stores such as NAPA parts requires this for the warrenty on the compressor. this is nessary because the newer condensors can not be cleaned out because of their small tubing diameter. The evaporator usually does not have to be replaced because with it's larger diameter tubing it can be cleaned out. You also always have to replace the Accumulator/Dryer tank when you have the system open, that is if you want to do a proper job. To work on the system yourself you have to have a vacuum pump, a manifold gauge set. With this equipment it is not hard to overhaul you AC system. If you look at what it costs to have a shop do this work it really pays off to get the equipment to do it yourself. Of course this is predicated on living in a state where it is legal for the home mechanic to work on an AC system, of course there is the "It is only wrong if you are caught" thing

Below is a 2 stage 1/4hp 1.5CFM vacuum which can pull a 70 micron vacuum ($119.00) , and a manifold gauge set used to observe the pressure on the low and highside at the same time, it is also used to fill the system. the one below costs $49.95. The below link is just to one of the many places where this equipment is available. the first link is to the pump and the second to the gauge set.
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...-AC-Pumps.html

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...AC-Gauges.html

One more thing however you have your system repaired I would suggest the installation of an inline filter such as you see below. They are cheap insurance.
Attached Images    

Last edited by transmaster; 06-17-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WTF Spammers

If you are not going to help this person why did you bother to post at all.

Last edited by transmaster; 06-17-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C not working