Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

a/c cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c cooling problems

I have a 99 150 and the air just started blowing warm, then its cold then warm I just never know.It usually blows cold at first after driving a while starts to blow warm.I added a can of freon it didnt help. I think the compressor runs constantly. Can you still add freon if the system is full. I dont know if another can will help or not.....I really would appreciate any help THANKS
Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have overfilled the oil (freon). Evacuate it and use a pressure gauge before it blows a seal or worse.

To answer your question, there's a difference between system full and capacity full. If the system is full (proper level) and this is happening you can begin looking at the compressor or other components, if it's at full capacity, the system is being overloaded. Evacuate (legally) and start again.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mawk
You may have overfilled the oil (freon). Evacuate it and use a pressure gauge before it blows a seal or worse.

To answer your question, there's a difference between system full and capacity full. If the system is full (proper level) and this is happening you can begin looking at the compressor or other components, if it's at full capacity, the system is being overloaded. Evacuate (legally) and start again.
I agree to that.

You may have over filled it. You need to check either a presser gage. It could be the high or low presser switches. Or even the ac clutch system, maybe a lose connection too.

First thing check with presser gage.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM
_McLovin_

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a problem just like this with one of my older trucks and it was the pressure switch on the low side. The switch is cheap but you would need to evacuate the system, replace the switch, then recharge the system again. Shouldn't be too expensive, maybe around a hundred bucks or so.

Quick Reply: a/c cooling problems