Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Bucking and High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bucking and High Idle

I was having bucking/jerking problems w/my 03 F-150 V-8 Super Crew I'm sitting at 160,000 miles right now. I have had coils 8 and 7 replaced (17 and 3 months ago respectfully) and thought for sure another coil was misfiring. After taking my truck in for repairs I was told the Idle Control Valve needed to be replaced first. Then I was told all coils. plugs and cylinders were firing properly but both the Upstream and Downstream Air Flow Sensors needed to be replaced. I also authorized for the BG Fuel Decarbonization Service to be performed. All to the tune of $1500. When I drove off the truck still jerked and the idle was running high (1200 rather than 750 rpm). Upon immediately returning to the service dept I was told "The computer has been cleared and it needs to be driven approx 200 - 300 miles for it (computer) to recognize my driving habits and to allow for the decarbonization to burn out". Does that sound right? Or are they blowing smoke up my tail pipe???
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I think you're getting jerked around. I have never heard of a computer requiring drive time for proper operation.

Quick Reply: Bucking and High Idle