Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Broken Smog bolt in cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Smog bolt in cylinder head

First, thanks for any advice you may have-

I'm replacing the head gasket and have the head out of the truck ('89 4.9L straight 6 300). I noticed that the last of the 6 bolts that holds the secondary intake pipe in place (smog pipe) was completely corroded (the 5th was bad too), and in trying to remove it it just got all mangled. I opened up the hole and tried to use an easy-out, but that got stuck and ended up breaking off. So now I have a perfectly good cylinder head with one of the smog bolt holes plugged by a broken easy-out. I figure I have a few options- which do you recommend?

1. Just buy a new cylinder head- $150-$350.
2. Take it in to a shop and see if they can drill it out, which will probably end up the destroying the hole anyway and leave me still buying a new head.
3. Try to drill it myself- if it comes out, great, if not, maybe I could insert the pipe from the new smog pipe (already purchased) into the hole and JB weld it or something to seal it.
4. Just cut and cap off the 6th prong of the smog pipe so that the pipe only feeds the first 5 cylinders and the 6th is sealed. This might be the easiest and best option.

Here are pictures:

You can see the plugged hole in the center.

Last edited by mrbollero; 05-23-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:55 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

no need to double post new guy...

Quick Reply: Broken Smog bolt in cylinder head