Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Broken Lower Intake Manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Lower Intake Manifold question

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of changing the head gasket on my '89 F150, 4.9l straight 6. I pulled off the manifolds and found that the lower section of the intake manifold had broken a corner off so that bolt #4 in this picture no longer holds the manifold on at all. If I put the manifold back on as is, is this single bolt going to keep the manifold from sealing to the head and cause air seepage?

This is my first time doing this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Exhaust manifolds are amazingly flexible when the heat up and down. This broken flange will allow cool air into the head and can cause damage to the exhaust valve over time. I would find one at a wrecking yard and replace it. (or use it as a good excuse for buying headers)
The following users liked this post:
mrbollero (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks- it's actually not the exhaust manifold, but the intake manifold, which comes it two parts that separate. This, of course, is the lower half that actually connects to the head itself. I'm sure your advice applies though- I would imagine they expand and contract in the same way.

Quick Reply: Broken Lower Intake Manifold question