Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Broke bolt taking header off. what should I do ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke bolt taking header off. what should I do ?

Will the exhaust leak that bad if I just leave the broken bolt in the engine and mount the head er with the remaning bolts? Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 05-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

yes it will leak..drill the bolt out and then mount it properly
The following users liked this post:
Archi (05-17-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Archi
Will the exhaust leak that bad if I just leave the broken bolt in the engine and mount the head er with the remaning bolts? Any suggestions would be appreciated
I recently changed one of my exhaust manifolds. Broke 4-5 of the studs. Nice long weekend project it ended up being. Anyway welding a washer onto the broken stud, and then a nut onto the washer worked very nicely.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twoskinsoneman
I recently changed one of my exhaust manifolds. Broke 4-5 of the studs. Nice long weekend project it ended up being. Anyway welding a washer onto the broken stud, and then a nut onto the washer worked very nicely.
This is the way to go if u have welding equipment? Is there any stub still sticking out? If so try vise grips(the real ones not the shotty ones you can buy from pa or ct) or the have removers for broken bolts that have a gripping mechanism that bites onto the broken bolt. Did u try removing them via mechanical manner(torque gun)? Gud luck did my 2000 changed over to long tubed headers and didn't break a single one that couldn't be grabbed a little bit with vise grips to get it out

Quick Reply: Broke bolt taking header off. what should I do ?