Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Break problems on my 05

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break problems on my 05

I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

On several occasions, after driving for several miles (10 to 15), there was smoke and an electric burning smell coming from my front driverside rim, I felt the rim and tire and they were hotter than the other tires and rims.

I took it to a mechanic, and as usual when I got there, everything was working perfect. The mechanic raised my truck and spun the wheel, and it spun like it should.

I though it was the breaks that were sticking, but the mechanic said that they were not.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Suggest using the search button. Seem to recall something about the brakes lines restricting the return of brake fluid to the master cylinder, thus causing the brakes to drag.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brake line problems that I am aware of were on the older body style. I do not know if the newer style still has this problem or not, on the older body it was caused from the internal breakdown of the rubber hoses and would block the pressure from releasing the brakes all the way. The heat and smell sound like a dragging brake. Check the color of the brake fluid it should be clear like what is in a clean bottle any discoloration is caused from moisture and or contaminates from the brake lines.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes this is a dragging caliper. The piston hung up dragging the pads and the heat released it. Replace the caliper, take a good look at the pad's and replace them if needed. Checker/Parts America has Mototcraft unloaded (meaning no brake pads)
for 104.99

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...e=5003&PTSet=A

Quick Reply: Break problems on my 05