Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brake tool question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake tool question?

Ok this might sound dumb but here goes,

I was told that you need a "Special tool or socket" to remove your front brakes is this true? I don't mean the lug one either.

Goose
Old 01-23-2008, 01:00 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Its BS I did mine on the 05 with no problem.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What are you talking about removing. There are special tools which make the job easier but you can get by without them. There are Fitting wrenches that really make removing and re-installing brake lines and hoses so much easier. Caliper piston depressing tools to help in the installation of the brake pads. Pressure brake bleeding pumps to make brake bleeding an easy one man job, etc. Yes you can get by without any of these tools but they sure makes the job easier. Nice thing is most of the tools you would use are inexpensive and have other uses.

Last edited by transmaster; 01-23-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:05 PM

I didn't know, because it was the guy who has done my brakes at his shop on all my trucks and cars I've had for over 10 years. He said he couldn't take off the rotors on the front due to some "tool" he didn't have because it was a Heritage. maybe its because it was built in Canada and metric I don't work on brakes so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the Information.

Goose
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtGoose
I didn't know, because it was the guy who has done my brakes at his shop on all my trucks and cars I've had for over 10 years. He said he couldn't take off the rotors on the front due to some "tool" he didn't have because it was a Heritage. maybe its because it was built in Canada and metric I don't work on brakes so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the Information.

Goose
Ohhh cant take the rotors off. That is a big like 36 mm nut. When it goes back on it has to be torqued to something like 250 ft lbs.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think it is anything special, at leats it just looked like a big nut to me.

try talking to your ford dealer and see what they have to say about it.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 AM

That makes sense now, that would be a "special' socket. I bet Dad has it in the "Deere Roll Around" for our tractors. I guess we'll have to "Do some , This one? No, This one? No bigger, Ok try this one , THATS IT!" Dad to Son Jobs.

Thanks Guys.

Goose

Quick Reply: Brake tool question?