Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brake squeeeeeeeeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Brake squeeeeeeeeak

13 FX4 w/5.0. I have 6,500 miles on it. Early on, and still now, I get a brake squeak first thing in the morning when I'm backing out of the garage. It does not happen every time but once or twice in a work week. No other conditions or shudders or anything, and once I hit the road to put it in drive I'm fine and the squeak goes away with further break use.

Happened yesterday after the truck sat for a few hours and backing out, but again, goes away after the first few uses of the brake and everything is fine.

Does this happen to anyone else? Trying not to be a truck hypochondriac and have accepted certain nuances of out trucks but this is one that I was thinking about getting checked out. Or is this another nuance?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by nickstradamus
13 FX4 w/5.0. I have 6,500 miles on it. Early on, and still now, I get a brake squeak first thing in the morning when I'm backing out of the garage. It does not happen every time but once or twice in a work week. No other conditions or shudders or anything, and once I hit the road to put it in drive I'm fine and the squeak goes away with further break use.

Happened yesterday after the truck sat for a few hours and backing out, but again, goes away after the first few uses of the brake and everything is fine.

Does this happen to anyone else? Trying not to be a truck hypochondriac and have accepted certain nuances of out trucks but this is one that I was thinking about getting checked out. Or is this another nuance?

Normal, it'll happen more often in a humid climate. Does it on mine as well.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here. No big deal.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Same here.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened on my '05 alot. Doesn't do it anymore. .... not sure if its because the brakes are "worn in" now, or because of it being winter now.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome. That's guys. I'll monitor for now. Second time I was curious about something that turned out to be normal.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nickstradamus

Usually caused by flash rust(light coat of rust that forms on bare metal after being damp and setting for a few hours). Rubbed off by the first brake use.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing on my 2010 XLT 4x4. Getting used to it.

Quick Reply: Brake squeeeeeeeeak