Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

brake repair frustration

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 PM
fx4 co-owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake repair frustration

Hi all, today spent a good part of the day trying to replace my rear brake shoes on my 1998 f150xl after discovering that the surfaces had hair line cracks in them. can't get anything back together properly. the driver's drum won't go back on. and the passenger side the shoes keep popping off the anchor pin when I attempt to secure the bottom spring. does anyone know how the wheel cylinder is suppose to behave? they don't leak, but I have to use great effort to push them in, and slowly they come back out. I'm thinking about replacing them, even tho I replaced them about 2 years ago. all the stuff I purchased from autozone. last time I replaced the shoes and drums, everything went together without a hitch. Thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 12:01 PM
fx4 co-owner

well, after trying everything that I could think of in the past few days, discovered that it was the brakes shoes that were the issue. purchased different brands from a different business and my truck is back together again. the faulty shoes were purchased at autozone. guess you can't always trust what the computer says. bought many parts from autozone, never had an issue.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

didn't you match them up with the old ones?
Old 10-28-2016, 05:02 PM
fx4 co-owner

Originally Posted by greasyknuckles
didn't you match them up with the old ones?
I did. The only difference were that the front and rear shoe linings were very close in size compared to the ones that I was replacing. the backing plate appeared to be the same size. figured that it was because it was a different manufacturer. when I returned the item today. the store employee said that it had happen once before. live and learn.