Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brake light and turn signals not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light and turn signals not working

Hey guys, I found f150 forum due to my search for my brake lights and turn signals not working on my 2011 f150. I couldn't find a thread that matched my problem but I did end up solving it, so hopefully this will help someone else.

My left signal went out first, then my right. Then somebody told me my brake lights were also out. i did a check on all my lights and everything was working except my rear signal lights, brake lights, and hazard lights. I learned all these were connected. I changed one set of bulbs and it did not work (rear night lights were working, which are the same bulbs for the brake and signal lights). So then I checked the fuse, and they were good. I then checked all the wiring, and couldn't find anything. So finally I took it to a mechanic. He got it working within the hour. It was actually a easy fix.

Change the bulbs even if it turns on when you turn your night lights on. Then the important part. Have your local car electrician remove any error codes. I guess the newer models ( last 5-6 years) have all the wiring go through a computer. So when a signal bulbs goes out it sends a message to turn it off in the computer. So even if you change the bulb out it still won't work till you clear the error message. Hope this helps someone. It ended up costing me $100, only cause the mechanic put together everything I took apart.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wonsf150
Hey guys, I found f150 forum due to my search for my brake lights and turn signals not working on my 2011 f150. I couldn't find a thread that matched my problem but I did end up solving it, so hopefully this will help someone else.

My left signal went out first, then my right. Then somebody told me my brake lights were also out. i did a check on all my lights and everything was working except my rear signal lights, brake lights, and hazard lights. I learned all these were connected. I changed one set of bulbs and it did not work (rear night lights were working, which are the same bulbs for the brake and signal lights). So then I checked the fuse, and they were good. I then checked all the wiring, and couldn't find anything. So finally I took it to a mechanic. He got it working within the hour. It was actually a easy fix.

Change the bulbs even if it turns on when you turn your night lights on. Then the important part. Have your local car electrician remove any error codes. I guess the newer models ( last 5-6 years) have all the wiring go through a computer. So when a signal bulbs goes out it sends a message to turn it off in the computer. So even if you change the bulb out it still won't work till you clear the error message. Hope this helps someone. It ended up costing me $100, only cause the mechanic put together everything I took apart.
Thanks!! Worked for me

Quick Reply: Brake light and turn signals not working