Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

brake light mystery

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light mystery

I have a brake light that won't work. I'm getting the "fast turn signal" blinking on the mirror and front and nothng in the back. I've replaced the bulb and checked the fuse...still nothing. Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you cleaned the socket in question it does not take much dirt to block DC voltage. My favorite cleaner for sockets such as this is original Lysol spray it is 98% alcohol and it makes a great cleaner. Just hose out the socket, get in there with some cotton Q tips and let is dry which takes just few seconds and then see if the light works. It does not sound like the flasher, I am assuming the front turn signal on that side works so that rules out the turn signal switch in the steering column. Do you have a multi meter. check the voltage at socket first, then at the back of the socket, then at the fuse block. If the cleaning doesn't fix the problem and you have voltage at the socket then the socket needs to be replaced. I don't know what year your truck is but replacement sockets are cheap and easy to install. My vote is for a dirty or a bad socket especially if your truck has has a bunch of years on it..
Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Ford Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also try to check the grounds on the connector if you have the factory or aftermarket trailer light harness installed. In fact, just check all harness under the rear ofthe truck, not much to slide one loose and foul up your day
Old 04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nohsp4u
You can also try to check the grounds on the connector if you have the factory or aftermarket trailer light harness installed. In fact, just check all harness under the rear ofthe truck, not much to slide one loose and foul up your day
Good point I just went through this battle with a 78 Mercury Cougar. there was one ground for the entire rear light system. I changed that and made sure each socket had it own ground. The one thing to get, if you don't already have one is a multimeter with out one you are just working in the dark.

Quick Reply: brake light mystery