Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Maintenance Shop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
I Voted For Bill and Opus
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Brake I P light?

I just had a light on in the instrument cluster that says Brake and below the two symbols with a I and a P in each one. Does this 95 F150 even have a sensor to tell me when I need brake pad/shoes? Or is this a general inspection light. I know the brake fluid level is fine but I have not yet inspected the pad and shoes. Oh and this truck is equipped with rear anti lock brakes as well, does that system have it own trouble light.

I used to dread doing brake work but now that I have all of the tools to properly do a brake job I am almost looking forward to refurbishing the brake on the Choo Choo Cruiser.

Having experienced complete and unexpect brake failure on a Mercury Cougar !! It was branded on the brain that all of the get up and go is no good if you don't have get up and stop. Which is why after the Banzai flight through a red light I went out and purchased all of the proper tools, and a pressure bleeder to make sure nothing like the ever happen again.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
NGM
Resident A-hole
5 Year Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NGM

Check the brake fluid level first.
http://www.jawsracing.net/
NGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Check the brake fluid level first.
Will do so when I get home, I am going to flush and replace the brake fluid
any way so I guess I will do it now rather then later, and I quess it is time to do a general inspection anyway.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
5 Year Member

You where right NGM the fluid level is low in the reservoir. I will top it off tomorrow and if the weather is good this weekend I will flush the system and replace what is there. I will have to see if there is a leak some where. If there is I'll bet it is a rear wheel cylinder, if so the part is only about $8.00 bucks each and if one is bad I will replace both of them. depending on what I find when I inspect the rear brakes I might just go ahead and a complete brake job on it.

Last edited by transmaster; 04-21-2008 at 08:32 PM.
transmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
5 Year Member

Ahhh, great minds think alike - I pay a lot of attention to brakes and steering components - figuring that if I can steer and stop, not a whole lot of trouble left to get into.

Have heard that sometimes the level indicator in the reservoir can get stuck - giving a false low indication when the fluid level is visibly OK.

It takes me a little over two quarts of fluid to completely flush the system - I tend to err on the side of seeing a good stream of clear fluid coming out of each caliper/wheel cylinder before moving on to the next one. Always amazed at the crap that comes out each time, even with the regular changes.

How are your pads? If the pads are at the end of their service life and you haven't added any fluid during their life - this could be one possibility to explain the low level. Of course, a leak would be another possibility :-)
Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM